One of my favorite birthday "cakes" is a cookie cake. Last year I made two cookie cakes for the first time. The decorating turned out well, but I wasn't completely satisfied with the taste of the cookie cake itself. It was too bread-like and I prefer more brownie or cookie like. So this year I looked at about 5 different recipes and consolodated them into my own recipe, using less flour and white sugar, and adding some cornstarch to make it chewy. We have a winner!! It's SO chewy and soft, which is how I believe all cookies should taste. (Crunchy cookies you say? Waste of calories in my opinion!)
And this year I borrowed my mom's icing decorator syringes that were originally my Granny's. They just don't make 'em like that anymore! They kind of look like this but are from the '50s. It was so easy to decorate the cakes this year because with multiple syringes, you can put different colors (only used 2 colors for these cakes) in different syringes and use them when you need to. (Last year I used one of those icing bags, so I had to do everything in one color before cleaning it out and changing to a different color.) And they come with tons of interchangeable decorator tips. I feel like opening up my own bakery!
So this year we made one cake for me and one for Game Night tonight to celebrate all of the November birthdays. Michael had fun drawing a Wii remote and nunchuck!
No comments:
Post a Comment