Do you enjoy spending time alone? Last night I was thinking back to when I first got married and I remember being so dependent on Michael for having a good time. If we couldn't spend time together, I'd mope around and not feel happy. Now it's completely different, not because I enjoy his company less than I used to - on the contrary, I've grown to love our Q.T. (quality time) moments even more - but I think it's because I've become more content in life.
Yesterday Michael took his math exam and he felt really good about it (thanks for your prayers!), but he still had to spend the evening studying for the exam he has today, which meant that we ate a quick dinner together before spending time apart for the rest of the evening. In the past, I would have either sulked by myself and been really impatient and upset, or I would not have respected his need to be alone (without my presence in the room) to study and ended up bugging him and starting a spat.
But at some point, I'm not sure when, I grew more content and comfortable with these "alone" situations. So last night I had no problem whatsoever of taking care of the household chores, setting up the new Brita water pitcher we bought (I'm so excited to save money on water & help the environment!), working on a puzzle, reading, and going to bed without him.
Going to bed without him used to be the worst thing for me - I'd toss & turn for hours and bug him relentlessly! Though I still would prefer to go to bed at the same time, I'm content because I know that it won't be like that every night. And instead of taking personal offense (such as, "He must not love me as much as I love him"), I choose to believe that if he could, he would much prefer go to bed than stay up late studying (logical, right?). I can't believe I used to be such a pain! In fact, I actually really enjoyed the evening time to myself and often do. And the real gold nugget is that he noticed this change in me, and praised me for it last night, which built me up and made me feel assured that I'm being a good help meet to him.
Isn't it amazing how much we (people) change over time? Can you relate to this too?
My goal: "She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." - Proverbs 31:12
1 comment:
That is such a great story! I, too, have had to learn that and really have come to enjoy the times that I can be a quiet blessing in the background instead of right by Greg's side all the time. I like your "goal" verse! :-)
Post a Comment