Christineward Scissorhands

Yesterday marked a historic day in the Yager household...Christine gave Michael a haircut for the first time.

Michael has been saying for over a year now how he thinks it would be cool if we bought a home-clipper set so that I could start cutting his hair at home to save money.

How much money could we possibly save, after all, from men's haircuts? Great question, but in the Yager household, Michael is the one who goes to a salon for a haircut every couple months, equating to about $144 per year, whereas Christine typically gets a haircut every....two years? I've lost count. For the record, my last haircut was this one. Now my hair looks like the "before" picture. Anyways...when Michael first suggested this, I think my response was: "Unless you want to sign a contract that you won't get mad at me if I mess it up, no way, Jose!"

After several more mentionings of the idea, I finally opened my mind to the option. It would be nice to save the money over the years, and if I got really good at it, I could cut our children's hair one day. After all, how hard could it be?

So we bought the clipper set and I researched on YouTube how to cut men's hair. Armed with several helpful videos, I decided to give it a try yesterday after work.


This what I had to work with, last haircut on 9/20/2011...notice he's still smiling


I start first with the clippers, using a 1/2" guard, working my way around the sides and back. Then because his hair was so long, I then used the scissors to shorten the hair on top so I could see the buzzed line around his head. Then I had to straighten the buzzed line around his head...

The thing that threw me the most was blending the top with the buzzed bottom. Obviously, you don't want to see any sort of line. Thankfully with the help of the YouTube videos, I used a comb and scissors and blended it all so it looked pretty good, if I do say so myself.




The final steps were to trim his bangs to the desired length, trim around the ears, and buzz below the hairline on the back of his neck, and voila, all done! It took me about 2 hours, so hopefully next time it will go quicker since I'll know better how to do it.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Great job, Christine! The first time I cut Jonathan's hair it took me 1.5 hours. The second time it took about 45 minutes. Now, approximately 5 cuts later, it takes only about 20 minutes (and that includes sweeping up all the hair)! You will be surprised at how simple and routine it becomes. :)

Post a Comment