Anna's Baby Shower

This past weekend I had the pleasure of co-hosting a baby shower for Anna and their baby boy, Jaythan. He is due for arrival on February 12th! Sara and I co-hosted the shower together and held it at my house. Sara brought all the yummy fruit, snacks, and punch, while I made the cake. The theme was "Cute as a Button."


Hard to tell in the picture, but the table was decorated with blue and "cherry" buttons

It's a chocolate cake with vanilla icing, with cherries on top (with a last name like that, I couldn't resist incorporating it into the theme), and fondant "buttons" to go with the theme


The cake was from a boxed mix, but tasted good. I made the vanilla icing and fondant from scratch. The fondant itself was really easy to make - coloring it on the other hand, was not. You have to knead the color in like bread dough. It took way more color than I thought and still wasn't working for me. My original plan was to make the cake look like this, but I couldn't get the brown fondant to get that dark, and the blue wasn't matching the blue of the ribbon, and since I was running short on time, I just changed the plan and used the fondant as a type of garnish. I also wasn't totally happy with the vanilla icing - it sort of melted and was hard to work with without bringing crumbs to the surface. I'm sure no one noticed these types of things, but for me the perfectionist, it wasn't my 'A' game. But the bottom line is that it tasted GOOD, so no worries in the end.


(Left to Right) Me, Anna, Sara

Can't wait to meet Jaythan next month!!

No comments:

Post a Comment