Michael and I signed up for a two-week free trial of Netflix, so we've been watching lots of movies lately, therefore we have lots of reviews to share with you if interested...
Title: My Sister's Keeper (We saw this in theaters, not Netflix)
Rated: PG-13
Starring: Amy Breslin, Cameron Diaz
Yager Stars: 4 out of 5
Review: This is a drama about two parents whose daughter has leukemia and younger daughter they conceived for the purpose of being a donor for the older sister. The movie is about how the younger sister sues her parents for the rights to her own body and the resulting emotions of this lawsuit and illness of the older daughter. Good plot story, but as with most Hollywood movies focused on illness, there is a lack of focus on God in the characters' lives, which leaves them in despair and fear instead of hope that this world is not the end.
Title: My Sister's Keeper (We saw this in theaters, not Netflix)Rated: PG-13
Starring: Amy Breslin, Cameron Diaz
Yager Stars: 4 out of 5
Review: This is a drama about two parents whose daughter has leukemia and younger daughter they conceived for the purpose of being a donor for the older sister. The movie is about how the younger sister sues her parents for the rights to her own body and the resulting emotions of this lawsuit and illness of the older daughter. Good plot story, but as with most Hollywood movies focused on illness, there is a lack of focus on God in the characters' lives, which leaves them in despair and fear instead of hope that this world is not the end.
Title: Push
Rated: PG-13
Starring: Dakota Fanning, Chris Evans, Camilla Belle
Yager Stars: 5 out of 5
Review: Action/Suspense movie about a group of people who are gifted with different powers and try to keep themselves safe from being captured and experimented on by the government. Good story line and character developments, plus, movies about people with superpowers are usually quite entertaining for us. I hope they make a sequel.
Title: Inkheart
Rated: PG
Starring: Brendan Fraser
Yager Stars: 5 out of 5
Review: Great "kid" movie for adults - by that I mean the content is suitable for adults but probably too suspenseful for children. It's about a man who is called a "Silver Tongue", which means he has the power to make real whatever he reads out loud. He and his daughter embark on an adventure to try to find their mother who was accidentally "read into" a book when the villains from the book were "read out".
Starring: Kristin Kreuk, Chris Klein
Yager Stars: 1 out of 5
Review: Michael will even tell you that this movie was a dud. He used to play Street Fighter the video game and told me that the characters from this movie were so lame and altered from the original powers they had that it ruined it. Plus, the acting in this movie was so terrible it was comical. Lame punch lines, cheap eye candy of one of the female characters, lame story line, lame action sequences...pretty much just lame!
Title: Frost/Nixon
Title: Frost/NixonRated: R
Starring: Michael Sheen, Frank Langella
Yager Stars: 3 out of 5
Review: This was a documentary-like drama based on the interview between David Frost and President Nixon shortly after he resigned, where Frost attempts to get an admittance of wrongs from Nixon. Good character development and plot. I don't remember much from history about this scandal, so I don't know how truthful or fictitious the details are. The language was the main reason it was rated R.
Rated: PG-13
Starring: Will Smith, Rosario Dawson
Yager Stars: 5 out of 5
Review: Oh my goodness, I loved this movie, but I cried and cried too. Our friends Jonathan and Jessica recommended this one to us, but refused to tell us what it was about...I'm afraid I shall do the same. If you read the Kidsinmind review, it may contain plot spoilers. There was a love scene that we skipped through, but other than that, the movie's content was fine (in our opinions). I know I didn't give you much to go on, but this is a really good movie, so hopefully I've piqued your curiosity enough...
Rated: PG (back in 1994...I'd say it's PG-13 now)
Starring: Tim Robbins, Paul NewmanReview: This is an "Office Space"-like comedy about a big company (Hudsucker Industries) whose board of directors only cares about the stock price increasing. They hire Tim Robbins to be the new president of the company because they think he's an imbecile. Lots of laughs caused by the ridiculous and unrealistic situations.
Rated: PG-13
Starring: Steve Martin, Queen Latifah, Eugene Levy
Review: This is a comedy about Peter, a lawyer, who meets a woman, Charlene, in an internet chatroom seeking legal advice and they eventually decide to meet for a date, where he discovers that he was not speaking to the woman he thought he was all along. Charlene stirs up Peter's life in all kinds of ways, both comical and beneficial.






No comments:
Post a Comment