Pardon me while I step up on my soapbox for a minute.
I read this article on CNN.com today and was saddened to be reminded of the state of the world we live in: http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/01/22/virginity.value/index.html
It's titled "What is virginity worth today?" and is about a 22 year old girl from California who is auctioning her virginity through the Internet from a brothel in Nevada. Not surprisingly, there are men who have bid as high as $3.8 million for this "pure" girl's virginity.
How much more of a mockery will the world make of Christianity? I am certainly not without sin, but I think it is pathetic that the world would actually call this girl a virgin. Because people can accept God's grace at any point in their lives, whether they have a past of sexual sin or not, I believe it is not the physical state of the body that is "virgin", rather the person's state of mind. If this girl is willing to sell her body for a buck (okay, a lot of bucks), she is not intent on keeping her virginity - whether she physically loses it now or ten years from now makes no difference. This girl sadly lost her virginity the day she gave in to this ridiculous notion of auctioning it, if not long before that in wanting to use her body for disgrace.
I could probably rant for quite some time about my opinions of how desensitized our culture is to sexual immorality, but this will suffice for now. I pray that this girl learns the truth of God's gift of grace and forgiveness and learns to truly value herself enough to know that she is a priceless creation of our Lord.
"The world and its desires pass away, but the man [or woman] who does the will of God lives forever." - 1 John 2:17
Stepping down from my soapbox now...
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing... - 1 Cor 1:18
Posted by
Christine
on Thursday, January 22, 2009
Labels:
Bible verses,
inner thoughts
No comments:
Post a Comment