The Big 25!

Today is my 25th birthday!

On Friday, Michael surprised me with a party at my parent's house. He totally got me. And I am normally a very sharp detective that you can't get anything past, but I must be growing more gullible as I age. We had already made plans with my family to celebrate this Friday the 20th after my Dad gets back from a vacation, so I wasn't expecting any celebrations before my birthday.

So here's the story: The morning of Friday the 13th (this is not meant to be scary), my Mom called me and asked if Michael and I could come over that night at 6:30 to celebrate her winning a presidential award for her career. I checked with Michael and he said ok, so I confirmed that it was a plan.

Later that day, I called Michael because I hadn't spoken to him in a while, and that's when I found out that he had gone home after class. It's not out of the ordinary for him to do that, so I didn't think much of it. The only suspicious thing was that when I asked what he had been up to that day, he didn't really provide any detail, which is abnormal. But I shrugged it off. Then when he picked me up from work, the car smelled funny. (He had cooked a meal to be served at the surprise party and then transported it to my Mom, so the car had a smell.) I felt horrible about this later, but when I got in the car and smelled it, I said something like "It smells like Indian food in here..." Oops.

Then when we got home and walked in the front door, all the fans were turned on high and the kitchen had a funny smell like the oven had been used. I just figured Michael heated up some frozen food to eat for lunch...no big deal.

So then we spent time at home playing a Wii game until we would have to leave to go to my parent's house. If you know me at all, then you know I like to be very punctual (like, if I'm not 5 minutes early, then I consider myself late). So of course I had a specific time in mind of when we should turn off the game and leave the house to go to my parents.

So when that time came, we stopped the game, but then Michael said "I have to go number 2." Hang in there with me. This has a point. Obviously, I'm not going to deny him that request, but I was a little irritated that he didn't go earlier at a more convenient time. So I go wait downstairs and have everything ready to leave. Waiting...waiting....I look at the clock it says 6:30 (the time we were supposed to BE at my parent's house). So I freak out a little and call my Dad and tell him we're running late. He says in a disappointed tone (that he later said was just trying to sound casual) "Oh, you're just now leaving your house?" Guilt trip! (Just kidding, I totally make myself feel guilty.)

So FINALLY, Michael comes downstairs and I rush him out of the house and into the car, where I proceed to drive frantically to try to save every spare second I can. Traffic. Major traffic! On a Friday night at 6:30?? Oh yeah...it was Aggie Ring Day! So I'm getting more and more irritated with the fact that we're so late to "my Mom's award celebration evening", while Michael was very encouraging and trying to calm me down. Of course the one day the city decides to do construction on the street leading up to my parent's street was that day too. I think I gave a quick "Ok Lord, I give up...I'll be calm and patient." Michael seriously did a wonderful job staying calm and encouraging me to get over the irritation. (Boy did I feel bad later!)

So when we walk up to my parent's front door, he rings the door bell. I'm like, "Why don't you just go in like we always do?" He says "Let's show some respect to them." I thought that was a little funny, but ok, whatever. So when my parents let us in, I immediately begin telling the story of what happened, including the "number 2" that caused us to leave later. Yes, I was talking about a bowel movement as my family is just about to yell "Surprise!" So they surprised me and it took me a second to realize that it was for me, but then I was very excited mixed with some embarrassment. That's when Michael tells me that he did not actually go number 2, but instead turned on the sink water and called my parents and his mom to make sure everyone had arrived already. He faked it! So that means I was supposed to be later than 6:30, so I fretted for nothing, which he of course knew, so that's why he was so encouraging.

So the moral of the story is to not insult your car smell or fret about being a few minutes late, and most importantly, to not discuss number 2's with anyone if your birthday is anytime soon.

Enjoy the pictures...
Here is the sneaky gang who surprised me. I love them all very much!
















"Everyone look at the camera" and my Dad's silly response...
















Michael's Mom gave me "one penny for every year"...
























Dad got me "The Office" Trivia Game...it's really fun!

























These racoons "mysteriously" show up every night to bowls full of cat food at my parent's house. I think they were mad they didn't get any cake.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Only 25...try 36!! Ugh! Hope you had a wonderful day and have a wonderful year. Love, Michelle

Post a Comment